As a partner of the Open Sea Aquaculture in the Eastern Mediterranean (OS Aqua) Project, Cyprus Subsea contributed to Work Package 4: Spatial Planning of Marine Aquaculture and recommended suitable zones for offshore aquaculture.
Cyprus Subsea is currently contributing to Work Package 5: Design of offshore marine aquaculture. More specifically, we recently led an onsite survey of essential ocean variables off the coast of Cyprus.
In addition, we are leading a task within Work Package 6: Ongoing monitoring of Offshore Mariculture stations by providing aquaculture cage status sensors.
Marine Aquaculture Research
Moreover, Cyprus Subsea is researching:
- the commercial market for open sea aquaculture subsystems and
- best practice guidelines for improved fish performances, quality, health & welfare.
For more information, please visit OS Aqua Project’s new website:
Cyprus Subsea collaborators for these Work Packages
- Hellenic Centre of Marine Research (HCMR)
- University of Nicosia Research Foundation (UNRF)
- Oceanography Center – University of Cyprus (OC-UCY)
- Geomatic Technologies.
- Cyprus Department of Fisheries and Marine Research
OS Aqua provides a host of socioeconomic benefits to Cyprus. They include increasing food exports, attracting investments, opening new work positions and ensuring social acceptance and environmental sustainability.
OS Aqua is co-financed with €800.000 by the European Regional Development Fund and the Republic of Cyprus through the Research and Innovation Foundation (grant number INTEGRATED/0918/0046).